Saturday, February 4, 2012

Day 4: First Friday

First Friday led practice at 730 but I was at the shala by 630. 

The steps were already fully occupied and I sat with Karen and Sherry (new friends) exchanging funny stories - as we were all first timers in India.

Somehow, It was comforting to know I wasn't the only one left in the car at the side street in the middle of nowhere early morning. I'm not the only who booked a hotel rather "far" from the shala, and I wasn't the only one who, upon landing on the bed on that first day in India, asked herself - What in the world am I doing here? 

We're alright now. And what we're doing is waiting and hoping to get a good spot with loving people who practice ahimsa. 

There was a batch ahead of us finishing and a crowd waiting without a queue. On your marks, get set...

I got the spot behind the door. Sharath opened with the chant. I practiced there until Trikonasana and then he moved me right outside the door at the foyer. Just like in the shala at Yoga Manila Ortigas, I had 7 mats in front of me. Only I wasn't the one teaching.  

I continued practicing. Sharath made me face the other way during the seated poses. His familiar voice rang across the room, I glanced at him as he sat on his chair with his newspaper on stage. I felt him roam around the room. 

His little boy entered the foyer and called him to open the door. His daughter said, "Bye, Papa" before going to school. I remembered Paul telling me family is THE practice. I agree and it was wonderful to see yoga perfectly enmeshed with everyday life.

Throughout practice, Sharath was in a light mood, joking and saying "Why you in a hurry?"  "Hungry?" 

It was a good practice, although for me, more difficult. The intensity was different. 

While waiting for the chanting class at 11.30, I had breakfast at Vivian's Cafe with Angie. 

Then we headed back to the shala for chanting. In the middle of it, Sharath walked by, clapped and said "Very good! I like it!" 

The class got happily surprised and disoriented. The room beamed for that shining second then continued.

Home cooked lunch at Nagarathna's in Lakshmipuran was fantastic. We had a delicious fill of at least seven types of Indian dishes. We then headed to the market to get some pure essential oils. I was heady with the sights of the local market, the persistence of the vendors selling wooden baby elephant puzzles, silver anklets, flutes and mini coconut drums, and of course, the sweet smells of sandalwood, jasmine, vanilla... I got the Mysore Herbal oil.

Dinner was banana smoothies at Anu's with Gela, Soraya and Tesa. Then I headed back to my palace, washed the day's wear, took a shower and lay in bed. Though exhausted, I could not sleep easily (and someone was dragging heavy furniture from upstairs again). 

But sleep found me somehow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Inspirational Lotus Pond

Singing Bowls