Saturday, February 18, 2012

Day 18: Here, have my dandelion

Ah, Friday led. I was at the shala by 6.20. One of the first few to arrive for the 7.30 class. We waited by the steps and when the doors opened, I picked my practice location, my prize for being early.  I began to unroll my mat when this girl rolled her mat right behind my heels, on my spot. I smiled and told her that I was already rolling my mat (maybe she didn't notice). She unfurled her towel on her mat and said, There's more room there. 

At this point, I thought of one of the scenes from Ice Age - the one with Sid the sloth, two prehistoric rhinos and the dandelion....

Sigh. I silenced my thoughts. This was not the day to be equivalent to two prehistoric rhinos. I got my mat and took another nice spot on the same row, near the photos of Guruji, and as far away from the girl as possible. This was a test. 

Non-attachment. Silent kindness. 
Now, practice compassion and send loving thoughts (yes, send it to Sid the sloth, my ego said quietly). I smiled to myself. We all need heaping servings of yoga for a long, long time. I know I do.

But it's fine, really. The nice lady (Jennifer) who sits next to me in my Sanskrit class moved her mat for me so I can have the smoother side of the rug.  What a lovely person. I thanked her.

It was another intense practice. 

After a full breakfast at The Green Hotel with Karen and Andrea, I went home to rest as I've been fighting my sore throat and afternoon fevers. Also, I'm officially on my cycle. No afternoon class for me today.

A. sent me a message to say he went home from work because he's sick - so is my little sister. Oh no, empathy fevers...

On the bright side, my brother called to say that his girlfriend gave birth this morning. My little nephew is here and he shares the same birthday as my youngest sister. Another child in the family! What a blessing and responsibility. It will not be easy but it will be very beautiful. 

Family. The 7th series.  

I explained the home situation to my brother, how independent and reliable he has to be now. This is his family, his priority. Amidst the challenges, this time is a joyful time. It was a heartfelt conversation.

After we spoke, I remembered everything that was perched on my heart, these many little nests on my tired branches. I finally welcomed the opening. 

I thought of my Dharma. My Karma. Theirs. Ours. How much of mine is for them? 

* * *
Photo of the day: Sharath's boy as I was waiting for my first coconut.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sigh... I'm sorry that you have to experience that. I had a similar experience in 2008. I guess we have to be more compassionate about these kinds of people instead of fighting it. Ika nga, we fight back with loving-kindness.

Nature said...

yeah, it's okay. i had a good practice. i hope she did, too... metta... i miss you, jon! :)

Post a Comment

Inspirational Lotus Pond

Singing Bowls