Thursday, February 2, 2012

Day 2: First Day of School

Today marks my first time ever to practice at the shala. February 1. I woke up early for my Pranayama and chanting, shower, then light breakfast. I still had time to prepare and calm down all the excitement brewing inside me.

The rickshaw ride from here to the shala takes 5 minutes. I waited at the lobby with my school bag - mat, towel, change of clothes, ID... In my head, Sappho's words were on repeat - I will let my body flow like water over the gentle cushions. First day of school. 

We waited to be called at the foyer. Sharath would look at us by the shala door. One more... One more... One more... One more... And finally...

Here, Sharath says. I roll out my mat on the second row, third from the left wall, go to the changing room, stuff my stuff in locker 30 and head back to my beloved mat. I practice. 

Today, I practiced full primary, no frills. No prep poses. The lightness remained. I was joyful. I got a very different adjustment in Supta Kurmasana - the hands, same but the feet were just placed quite easily behind my (relaxed) neck and I was told to lift, no extra rocking. So I lifted. And then, I did it again. Sharath was walking around and somehow I knew he was seeing me. Well, he was seeing all but there is something about great teachers. They sense and connect with an attention so abundant and giving to everyone.

As I think of great teachers, I am thankful to Paul for sending me an anchor, rays of light and a gentle breeze as I set sail here.  He knew what to say. Of course. 

I felt complete surrender in my practice (so much so that I was truly joyful all throughout the asana, most especially and most surprisingly, in backbends). I loved every moment, every asana, every breath and all the perceived imperfections and new spaces.

Ah, in this place for an hour and a half or so, there is no time for drama. Just obedience.  And yes, Magic. 

After practice, I went back to my place first. Some of my beloved Manila yoginis are here and I was to meet them but I fell asleep. I will catch them tomorrow. 

Tonight, I will curl up with Vikram Seth's Two Lives and sleep (again). 
Grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inspirational Lotus Pond

Singing Bowls