Saturday, February 11, 2012

Day 10: We leave the ego and slippers

We leave the ego and slippers at the door and get the gift of that unexpected place in the shala. For me today, I got the stage on the right side of Sharath (Well, his chair actually...)

I felt a lighter practice despite the cool breeze coming through the window. Inside, I feel the questions rise and twist and and burn in labor beneath my breath.

Today's off the mat highlight #1 was another home cooked meal. We were invited to have lunch at Adil's home so we went to the market first to come see him. Adil makes these wonderful oils and incense. And his mom makes such wonderful meals. They had just moved into their home and we were blessed to be invited to share a meal with them. (More photos and info in a separate blog entry...)

Highlight #2 is of Saree. We went to Rashinkar and another one at Mysore Complex. I have yet to choose one for me although I tried one on. Mysore silk with beadwork. The colors sparkled with softness and intricate trimming. Hand-folded pleats and a shoulder piece draped. Beautiful. All from one cloth. All for 11,000 Rupees (sewing not yet included).

I thought of Kunti and her palace and her loves...I thought of the Princesses of Mysore. Oh, these ancient royal Indian dreams that do not belong to me and our time. We have but sequins, silk, and scriptures to remind us....

Just as well. Tomorrow, I leave my sequined slippers and ego outside the shala. My thoughts will be covered in breath and single pleats of forward folding. Still I hope to shimmer. Within.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inspirational Lotus Pond

Singing Bowls