Monday, December 28, 2009

Tibetan Singing Bowls

I am so excited. I will get my set of Tibetan Singing Bowls tomorrow. Four bowls in various sizes. It's for my yoga classes and my studio later on. I loved the vibrations of these bowls during my magical month in Yoga Thailand. They sang to every cell of my being. I will now have my own set to sing for others.

I looked for these in Lamai and Cha Weng but I think I may have been looking in the wrong places. Today, while I was looking for downloadable mp3 of Tibetan bowls, I chanced upon a supplier here in the Metro. I will get my bowls tomorrow.

Meanwhile, while I waited, I did have a wonderful application on my iPhone.



Swirl your finger slowly around the edges of the bowls to create and control beautiful meditative harmonic tones. Tap the bowls, gongs, bells, and tingsha cymbals to add depth and variety to your music.

Easily swipe between the 7 included bowls to explore their unique sounds and the effects on your body, mind and soul.






For the real thing, though, here's how
(http://www.silverskyimports.com/Shop/Control/fp/SFV/32655/view_page/How_to_Play_Tibetan_Singing_Bowl)

How to Play Bowls
1. Hold the bowl in the palm of either hand with a firm grip on the bottom of the bowl. Be careful not to touch the sides of the bowl as that is where the vibration comes from.

2. With the striker, rub the outside rim in a circular motion. Keep an even pressure. Sometimes it is easier to strike the bowl first to get the vibrations going.

3. Gently increase the speed as the bowl begins to vibrate, and as the sound grows. Sometimes this method can take practice.

Another method is "gonging" or "striking" the bowls. This is a simple method that involves striking the bowl with a wood or padded striker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inspirational Lotus Pond

Singing Bowls