Thursday, November 13, 2014

Day 2: Tapasvini

My practice since I got here has created so much space but in an expansive, "pain-free" way. I am returning to such root words such as integrity of the spine, openness...


Yesterday's official Day 1 (I practiced some days before too but moon days and cycle days gave me a happy resting time) brought so much re-collection. The intensity of the tapas at work showed up this morning when I spent the earlier part of the morning "detoxing..."

Hence, I came in to class late because I needed to rest and allow some Reiki to help the process but in perfect time, I was ready in time before the last call. Yoga Chikitsa is at work and apart from some minor discomfort I was able to complete my practice and my Pranayama.

In this time of my journey, I am more introspective. My days consist of morning practice of asana and pranayama. I get myself a coconut or two, wash clothes and take a bit of rest while catching up on work email (yes, I do), chat with my family, write my practice notes, and read. I then get my brunch and have some conversations with the lovely community here. That's more than half the day already. I then sit in Vipassana meditation at the shala and do my study. I am re-connecting with the Yoga Sutra Samadhipadah. Apt since I am in Samadi Bali. :)

I then spend some time writing here in lieu of the sunset I miss seeing.

With this "detoxing," I now seem to have colds, too and so I have holed up in my room with my AC off to just quietly reflect on the clear message of these days. And the Tapas.

For easy reference, I just picked up Tapas from the Wiki but the definition and explanations abound in Yoga and Ayurveda books...

In the yogic tradition it is the fire that burns within that is needed for the sanyasi to achieve the very difficult goal of enlightenment, to foster self-control, one mindedness and focus, simplicity, wisdom, integrity. It is used to develop and discipline the body, mind and character; control of mind; satisfaction of all desires - through discipline of body, correct speech, telling only the truth, correct thought, non violence, correct action, love for all, devotion to God, developing the ability to remain tranquil and balanced in every situation, act without any selfish motive or thought of reward, with an unshakable faith in God.

So then I must be a tapasvini which also apparently means "poor, miserable woman" but really, I am just practicing sweet austerities during this precious time.

***

It also started raining in this part of Bali since I first got here. I take that to be a good sign.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Inspirational Lotus Pond

Singing Bowls