Sunday, August 22, 2010

Day 2 (Aug 22)

We did a a fire ceremony at 6.15 in the morning. It's a heartfelt way to begin any day, to start with a ritual offering to the Divine. I feel we lost the magic in connecting with the many sacred aspects of our lives in our mad rush to do the things we think are so urgent and important.

After the fire ceremony, we had a fifteen minute meditation using Gam as a mantra. I liked that I felt present, watching my thoughts, watching the shapes and colors behind my eyelids, coming back to the mantra, feeling engulfed with light, real or imagined. When it was time to open the eyes, I felt very relaxed and Prof. Narasimha was right. It took about 10 minutes to "recover" from the state. We listened to Jayashree chanting... the power of music and sound.

Then it was time for practice - my first Ashtanga session since I got here.  I was able to bind in Marichy D by myself without so much trouble - whenever Paul or Govinda are around I feel like my body obeys more. Elonne also helped me with my dropbacks the way Jon does back home. I am starting to love my Urdvha Dhanurasana ever so slowly. Although by the time I got sent to the wall, I was too tired to plaster my heart against it. Maybe tomorrow.

I showered, did my laundry and enjoyed my meal of vegetarian thai food - fried rice with lemon grass, green mango salad, tofu and scrambled eggs. For dessert, granola with yogurt and honey and pandan juice. I'm back in my room, contemplating a quick nap.

This place feels like home, somehow. The view is beautiful from my room.



I met my room mate - Ivana. She, like Veronique, is not a fan of airconditioners. I guess it must be colder on the second floor. I'm done cleaning my mat. I'm back on my bed. I think I should give in to a cat nap now...

---

In the afternoon, we chanted the first 6 sutras and the first 5 slokas of Chapter 6 of the Gita.

It is necessary in life to go to different Gurus. The full universe is our guru.
The guru teahes us to focus our eyes inside...to find the source within us
All the Himalayan pleasures of this world is within, if the mind is not confined to desire
Even those who have nothing but is always aspiring can be attached
But when the fruits of aspiration is there, we take the opportunity. Not the attachment.
If you want to be a yogi, be active.

Patanjali uses different aspects of the mind. His teachings are relevant because we are in the age where we are so conflicted.
If we know ourselvs and the objects well, there is harmony and happiness.
We are dependent on so many things because we are not self confident but if we know ourselves, we will not be carried away by the situation or the reaction. 


In the evening, I chatted with A. and the little princess. And had a wonderful conversation with Ivana.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inspirational Lotus Pond

Singing Bowls