Monday, March 28, 2011

Rajas, Meet Tamas

It has been taking some time to recover from running on adrenaline for a month. With the flu that I ignored, the intensity of emotions over the past weeks, and the Super Moon that lent its energy. I am now feeling my entire body coming to a full stop. I am refusing to be perturbed. I have imposed refuge upon myself. All else is of seemingly secondary importance. For now.

We strive to seek balance, moment by moment. This is the rhythm we speak of in writing, in music, in dance, in asana, in the entirety of the universe. When we stop seeking balance, it seeks us and spreads itself over us. This is the law of the Cosmos. This is its order - that we achieve equilibrium, that we return to the natural, original, balanced state. This is where we will find the boundary of our free will. When we push hard to tip the scale, overexert or succumb to the excess, we are naturally brought into balance. The process to bring us back is as extreme as how we got there. We speed and force ourselves into the peaks, it should be no wonder we come crashing into the troughs.

As I think about the 60 minutes of Earth Hour last Friday, I think of what this offsets and what the balance entails. This body, this planet, will need to regain itself into becoming Sattvic again. Every gentle regaining helps. We all need a period of healing.

So Rajas, meet Tamas. It was just a matter of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inspirational Lotus Pond

Singing Bowls