Saturday, September 19, 2009

Random Thoughts on the Global Mala 2009




It was a beautiful day.

It was a day of seeing old and new teachers, old and new friends. I was away for a significant time from the community and so many things have changed. Studios today are not the same as the studios I went to in 2000 to 2004... I miss the Olympia Studio of Anna Price and the family I had there. I miss the yoga shala on Pasay Road. But those are my own sentimental thoughts. This was the first time I attended the Global Mala and there was a beautiful mix of people - students and teachers. My fervent intention is to be at the cusp of this mix and then to be called to teach. I am two months away from my training and I am constantly praying for it. This kept me through the 108 sun salutations mala(well, most of it, anyway. And the Pure Water helped).

I enjoyed the variations of flows presented. We did not practice ashtanga that day. Before I joined Hoze and Sandy's ashtanga practice, I was deep into the flows taught by my first teacher, Anna and the asanas brought me back to that familiar place in Olympia where we rented a dance studio, sometimes waited until the ballroom dancers ended their session. We started past 8 and ended past 10. I remembered how I found a home there. She now teaches at Prana Studio. I am reminded to thank her.

Hoze was there too and I could not help but come up to him and tell him that the best studio I've been to was the shala in Pasay Road. The music, the smell of incense, the vegetarian cafe brought back memories. That was where I fell in love with Ashtanga.

Yoga carried me through the life changing, most poignant (and sometimes, most painful) times of my life. I remember...

The day presented itself with things to do. I was not able to atend the sessions simultaneously going on in the Lunar Room. In between sessions, I got good massage breaks from the sponsor booths. They were refreshing, as were the members of the yoga community who were exuding such wonderful vibes.

We then had kirtan. It was my first kirtan session and I enjoyed it so much with the fantastic drumming and percussions of the Estebans. The live chanting of the mantras was energizing. I've been entranced by the music of Deva Premal and chanting of Wah! for ages but to have been part of this "in person" was joyous. I was happy to hear The Lord's Prayer as well. To me, Love is the religion, afterall. It was a wonderful session and I made a mental note that there is path for breathwork and kirtan I intend to follow.

We then started the Yoga Trance Dance. I waited for this as I am all for primal movements and lost inhibitions. These are rare in my everyday juggle and struggle in the workplace and I yearned to let myself go.

The rolling Downward facing dogs, the serpentine moves were liberating. The dancing was a great celebration and I felt this celebration from within must be nurtured. I loved the movement and weightlessness of it all. Teresa was a beautiful teacher.

Today and in the coming ashtanga practices, I will take with me the feeling of home and celebration, and wonder and openness. Yesterday, when we practiced, a number of cities practiced with us. That beautiful energy was sent to save our planet and for some, ourselves.

Even as I practice alone, I know there are those who are practicing with love from all over the world. So it seems everyday is a form of Global Mala. How blissful!

I bow to that and to all of the blessings we received yesterday. Peace, Joy, and Love.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inspirational Lotus Pond

Singing Bowls