Sunday, October 14, 2012

New Moon Decisions

Time's up! New moon is here. 

In my last entry, I mentioned I decided to go back to Corporate Manila. I shared my lessons and some self-discoveries but did not yet expound on the details of how I came to the conclusion that I would go back. It was not a hasty decision - I did not wake up one fine morning with a definite answer, nor did I fill up my macro-enabled Excel sheet to come to a conclusion (yes, I do that sometimes).

This one was a more complex heart matter and for those matters, the decision making is a process. The process came with a few activities and, if you are thinking about your sabbatical, I hope these are helpful tips.

Activity 1: Checkpoints
Objective: Get a quick and honest review of how things are, take note of them, then carry on.

As soon as I left my corporate life in August last year, I already plotted 2 checkpoints - one in December and then another in July. This first one was supposed to be in June but I extended for another month.

June was rather busy as I prepared for Gregor Maehle's workshop and in any case, I was not in a hurry. These checkpoints are quick reassessments of my initial assumptions. These are not meant to stress me out, rather allow some time to check in on how things truly are without burdening my happy days with worry.

My reassessment consisted of 5 practical questions which I wrote at the beginning of my "sabbatical."
These are personal questions that I want to ask myself gently about some personal assumptions. The checkpoints allow me some quiet time to answer candidly, going back to why I was doing this and taking an objective look at potential expectations I may have had in the beginning.

source: page from my planner

Tip: The checkpoint questions could be open ones (example, How is your heart? How are your finances?) or yes and no ones (example: Are you getting the freedom you wanted? Are you enjoying? Did the _____ deal push through?)

Bonus: Feel free to write down a few remarks. Take a moment to be silent and thankful. Pray for guidance or assistance. Take another look at your checkpoints - whether on paper or in your head then let it go. As the memes say "Keep calm and carry on."

Source: keepcalmlondon.com

Oh and I could not help but post some of the alternatives from google images. I especially like Keep Calm and Call Batman.



So keep calm. For now, these are observations and we need to allow for some things to come to fruition or change. There will be checkpoint #2 (or #3 or #4 or #5...)


Activity 2: A Little Help From Friends (and Family)
Objective: Check in on the views from trusted friends and mentors

I was able to spend more time just listening to family and friends around the checkpoint period or sometime (anytime, really) in between. It's good to see friends who supported me fully and those who were a bit skeptical of my decision. They naturally play Angel's and Devil's advocates. I saw hybrids of both, and it was always refreshing. Take the views as they are.

Tip: Instead of asking for feedback on how they think you're doing, just listen to how they are. And enjoy the company. It's great to be surrounded by friends and family who care enough to spend time with you! It's not a performance appraisal, afterall, just a nice catch up chat over lunch, dinner or both.

Activity 3: Read on
Objective: Keep Learning

Some books and articles will find their way in our lives in perfect timing. The last book I read was How to Find Fulfilling Work by Roman Krznaric and I enjoyed the quick read on career possibilities, shifts and exploring meaningful work. He mentions some great things, conveniently mind mapped by Ben Royston from his site.

source:http://www.romankrznaric.com/how-to-find-fulfilling-work

Another great one I enjoyed was Zen and the Art of Making a Living: A Practical Guide to Creative Career Design by Laurence G. Boldt. The paperback is very thick but full of tools and helpful quotes - a lot from Eastern philosophies. If you don't mind missing the book smell and want the portable version, it's also available on Kindle.

Tip: Get the books! Pass them around! From Mr. Krznaric, I did some of the approaches unknowingly - radical sabbatical, branching projects. There are very sensible approaches, real stories, questions for your checkpoint.

From Mr. Boldt's book, I was able to make a heartfelt decision on which of the two fantastic offers I should take. Both are easy to read with practical tips to remind us of things we may already know but are worth remembering. I wish I had these books sooner but then again, the timing of their arrival is perfect.

New Moon is the best time for planting and making decisions. May this New Moon bring bountiful blessings!

- - -


The ultimate epilogue: Whichever way we choose to grow, know that God's timing is perfect. His plans are always bigger than we can ever hope to imagine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inspirational Lotus Pond

Singing Bowls